Last update 6 July 2023

The place-name Grana reflects that of the homonymous torrent which flows in more branches from the slopes of the hills of Grazzano and Moncalvo. It also determines the toponymy of Valle Grana (Grana Valley) and crosses the territories of Montemagno, Viarigi, Altavilla, Vignale, Fubine, Camagna, Conzano and Occimiano to continue to Giarole and put mouth in the river Po near Valenza. Usually the interpretations of the hydronym and the toponym are double. We must keep in mind in the study of place names that our region was part of Cisalpine Gaul, which in turn, with the Transalpine Gaul, in the Roman era, formed a continuous structure, whose Latin names are equal both here and beyond the Alps. So if we read the existence of toponyms similar to ours under examination, in today’s France, we infer that the origin is similar for the various demic centers, whether they arose - in the classical age - in Monferrato (Cisalpine Gaul) or in the Département de la Dròme (Transalpine Gaul) where we find the toponym Grane similar to our certificate in medieval acts, in the Latin form Grana, as Grana in Monferrato.

French scholars derive the name of Grane (Dróme) from the Gallic name Grannus which is also the patronymic of the Celtic god Grannus corresponding to the Roman Apollo, so that in many epigraphs of the time appears the title Apollo Grannus, in our case, face female because declined with the name of the watercourse, as often happened; for example, in medieval documents the Belbo is called Belba or aqua Belba ("river Belba" or "water Belba). We also remember the cult of water, streams, springs, characteristic not only of the Celts, to further emphasize the derivation of the toponym Grana from the celt Grannus - Grana.

However, Italian scholars diverge, preferring to derive from the pre-Roman term Krana meaning "crevasse", "fissure", "deep valley and recessed", the toponym Grana and its hydronome. Well documented is the development of the demic center in Roman times, built near the road from Montemagno of medieval mold developed on Roman settlements, leads to Calliano to flow on the artery Asti-Rigomago. The maps of the Asti chapter archive document the presence of the village of Penano where the parish church of Santa Maria of Grana stood. In January 911 Agilfredo, priest and rector of the parish of S. Maria in Grana, barter goods with Ansulfo, inhabitant in the town of Periano. The document is drawn up at the above written parish church of S. Maria of Grana. On 11th January 955, Vulmanno deacon, said archpriest of Grana, barter goods with Resto, son of Ragimberto, inhabiting the place of Periano, including a land and a field. Periano is of classical Roman origin. The territory was also populated by two other centers of Latin origin, as recorded in the local cadastre (drawn up on 24th February 1569) that are Axigliano and Stroppiana which, like the homonymous Vercelli, derive respectively from the gentilizi Asellius and Stirpius where the Stirpiana valley has been transformed into Stroppiana for ease of pronunciation.

The land registry of Grana also records the localities that derived the name from the mentioned Roman road with the entry quarry that indicates precisely the hollowed out road, collapsed for the inability and lack of maintenance. Some examples: "terra cum vitibus ad Cavam, terra dei Cavam coberent eccle sia S. Evasii Casalis, Hector Testa et via comunis" where, next to the ancient Roman road, there was the medieval road also called "viam cavam", "ad Cavam vel ad vallis Granam", ("at the Cava" or "at the Valley of Grana"). The word cava is also mentioned in the act of 955 where in the place and farm of Periano a land is located "in loco ubi dicitur ad cavam" (=in the place called "ad cavam").

There is also the alternative entry "ad crosam" to indicate the Roman road recessed and deep, "ad crosam sive ad sanctum Stephanum", to the hole, ie in Santo Stefano (Saint Stephen). The montem Piranum recalls the Perian of documents 911 and 955, Hill of Piriano, by the Roman patron Pirius, already mentioned. Thus the Montemalbanum indicates the hill of the Roman Albus. In summary we find on the territory of Grana the place names Periano, Asigliano, Stroppiana. Monte Albano taken from the Roman terms Pirius, Asellius, Stirpius, Albus.

In the transition from the Latin to the Middle Ages, the populations, once they abandoned such centers, were embedded on the most defensible and safe hill where the "villa" (=city/town) of Grana arose, such called, still in the sixteenth century, in the local land registry, the demic center: "in villa, in villa in Torretam, domus in villa, domus in villa Grane". The transition from the early Middle Ages to the dawn of the Millennium saw the birth of two other settlements: the "burgum novum" (=new village) and the farmhouse. The first can be connected to the Burgi speculatores, that is to the sighting fortresses used to announce the arrival of dangers and enemies, which they were present a little everywhere in Monferrato. The farmhouse instead seems to be attached, under the heading "brayda" (agricultural farm with outbuildings), to the presence of Germanic invaders, in this case Langobards.

We read in the documents of 911 and 955 the existence of the parish church of S. Maria in Grana, confirmed by Emperor Henry III on 26th January 1041 to the church of Asti, whose vast territory bordered to the north with those of Rosignano and Mediliano. Grana remained under the jurisdiction of that bishop, until 1474 when it was incorporated into the diocese of Casale.

The presence of the parish church underlines the importance of the town and its castle no longer exists. The cadastre states, in 1569, that the concentric was called villa which was accessed through the "Porta del Monte" where there was the straight street of the square with two shops and one smaller "cum domuncula superior" (=with a house above) with the contrada del Forno (literally, it means "district of the oven") and the via del Torchio (=street of the press). In the concentric we note the presence of orchards and gardens. Other houses were located "super spaldum" (=on the stands and near the tower), resulting in the villa that is the concentric, equipped with fence of walls with relative ramparts and with the other door called San Pietro (=Saint Peter), near which is located the sedime with farmhouse, vegetable garden and lawn.

Built in the Roman road which then turned into a medieval street, Grana could not miss a hospital or "xenodochio" to let pilgrims rest, being, moreover, the street Marenca that descended to Montemagno through Quarto d'Asti grafting on street Fulvia. The usual cadastre of 1569, a real mine of information about the village in medieval times, record the "sedimen cum capsina et horto ad sanctum Anhonium coberet hospitale comunis... et bona ecclesie", ie a sedime with farmstead and vegetable garden in Saint Anthony under the consistency of the common hospital and church property. And then, "domus seu capsina dicta hospitale cum pauco sedimine habita ab agentibus, pro Communitate. coberent via camunis et ecclesia sancte Maria in arealibus dictis ad sanctum Anthonium" (=the house with the farm called hospital with small premises held by the community agents, under the coherence of the common road and the church of S. Maria in the surroundings of the place called of S. Antonio), from which it is also deduced that the church of Santa Maria (=Saint Mary), epicenter of the early medieval parish, was decentralized compared to the new villa.

In the medieval age, we can find a noble core in Grana. At the end of XIII century in fact, in the race to the occupation by the City of Asti, the castles "ultra Versam", that is beyond the stream Versa that marked the border of the Aleramic Marquisate, remained, for the atrocious death occurred on 6th February 1292, of the Marquis William VII, at the mercy of the border robbers. The Lords of Castagnole are forced to cede the feud to the Municipality of Asti regaining its investiture on 15th June 1292. With the subsequent act of 25th July Castagnole is under the control of dominus (=lord) Raynerius Bozia de Grana who ruled in the name of his nephew Obertino and who yields to Asti what he owned in Castagnole receiving the investiture. Moreover, the Municipality of this city granted Raynero Boza or Bocia and his nephew all that he owns in Grana, already recognized by the Marquis Guglielmo di Monferrato with the consequent reinvestment.

Included in the Aleramic estates, Grana had his privileges and statutes confirmed on 13th June 1379 by the Marquis Giovanni III (John the Third) Paleologo (=Palaeologus). The Feudal history placed inseparably with the municipal one begins with the cession of Grana by Guglielmo VII to the Aleramic marquis Lantelmo of Occimiano on 12th September 1265. However, the village was confiscated from the Occimiano's, and granted on 9th January 1374 to Percivalle Bobba, belonging to the historic family of Lu, who gave it in 1506 to Enrico and Filippo Gambera, who were enfeoffed on 9th October 1506. Then it passed to the del Carretto's and after their "extinction", as we would say, was invested of Grana, with the committee the 13th April 1781 Amedeo Messier, from Moncalieri.

French version

Le toponyme Grana reflète celui du torrent homonyme qui jaillit en plusieurs branches des pentes des collines de Grazzano et de Moncalvo, qui prennent ce nom. Le fleuve qui détermine également la toponymie de la Valle Grana traverse les territoires de Montemagno, Viarigi, Altavilla, Vignale, Fubine, Camagna, Conzano et Occimiano pour continuer à Giarole et mettre l'embouchure dans le Pô près de Valence.

Habituellement, les interprétations de l’hydronyme et du toponyme sont doubles. Il faut garder à l’esprit dans l’étude des noms de lieu que notre région faisait partie de la Gaule cisalpine qui, à son tour, avec la Gaule transalpine, à l’époque romaine, formait une structure continue, dont les toponymes latins sont égaux de part et d’autre des Alpes. Donc, si nous lisons l’existence de toponymes semblables à celui que nous examinons, dans l’actuelle France, on en déduit que l’origine est similaire pour les différents centres demiques, qu’ils soient nés - à l’époque classique - dans le Montferrat (Gaule Cisalpine) ou dans le Département de la Dròme (Gaule Transalpine) où nous trouvons le toponyme Grane semblable à notre attestation dans les actes médiévaux, dans la forme latine Grana, comme Grana dans Monferrato (Montferrat).

Les savants français tirent le nom de Grane (Dróme) du nom gaulois Grannus qui est aussi le patronyme du dieu celte Grannus correspondant à l’Apollon romain, de sorte que dans de nombreuses épigraphes d’époque apparaît le titre Apollon nus grannus, dans notre cas, le visage du féminin parce qu’il a décliné avec le nom du cours d’eau, comme c’était souvent le cas; par exemple dans les documents médiévaux le Belbo est appelé Belba ou aqua Belba (eau Belba). Rappelons en outre le culte des eaux, des torrents, des sources, caractéristique non seulement des Celtes, pour souligner ultérieurement la dérivation du toponyme Grana du sonal celte Grannus - Grana.

Mais les chercheurs italiens divergent, préférant faire dériver de la voix préromane Krana, Grana, avec valeur de crevasse, fissure, vallée profonde et encaissée, le toponyme Grana et son hydronome.

Bien documenté, le développement du centre demique à l’époque romaine (de type médiéval mais développé sur des établissements romains) conduit à Callian pour se jeter sur l’artère Asti-Rigomago (Trino vecchio, "Trino veil"). Les cartes des archives capitulaires d’Asti documentent la présence du village de Penano où se trouvait l’église paroissiale de Santa Maria de Grana. En janvier 911 Agilfredo prêtre et recteur de l’église paroissiale de S. Maria in Grana échange des biens avec Ansulfo habitant dans la villa de Periano. Le document est rédigé à l’inscription ci-dessus pieve de S. Maria di Grana. Le 11 janvier 955, Vulmanno diacre, dit archiprêtre de Grana, échange de biens avec Resto, fils de Ragimberto, et habitant au lieu de Periano, y compris une terre et un champ sites in situ et fundo Periani. Periano est de matrice romaine classique coulé par le personnel Pirius, le territoire était en outre peuplé par deux autres centres d’origine latine, comme l’indiquent les locaux cadasti (rédigés le 24 février 1569), c’est-à-dire Axigliano et Stroppiana qui, comme les homonymes vercellois dérivent respectivement des gentilshommes Asellius et Stirpius et la vallée Stirpiana a été transformée en Stroppiana pour la commodité de la prononciation.

Le cadastre de Grana enregistre également les localités qui ont tiré le nom de la voie romaine avec le terme "cava" (=creuse) qui indique précisément la route enfoncée, enfoncée par l’incapacité et le manque d’entretien. Alcuni esempi : "terra cum vitibus ad Cavam, terra dei Cavam coberent eccle sia S. Evasii Casalis, Hector Testa et via comunis", où, à côté de l'ancienne rue romaine "ad cavam", la voie médiévale (appelée aussi "viam cavam") serpentait, "ad Cavam vel ad vallis Granam", (=à la carrière ou à la vallée de Grana). Le mot "cava" est également mentionné dans l’acte de 955 où dans le lieu et la ferme de Periano une terre est située sur place "ubi dicitur ad cavam" (=dans le lieu appelé à la Cava).

Il existe aussi la voix alternative "à crosam" pour indiquer la voie romaine encaissée et profonde, "ad crosam sive ad sanctum Stephanum", au trou, c’est-à-dire à Santo Stefano (Saint Stephen). Le "montem Piranum" fait écho au Periano des documents 911 et 955, col de Piriano, du patronyme romain Pirius, déjà rappelé. Ainsi le Montemalbanum indique le col du romain Albus.

En résumé, nous trouvons sur le territoire de Grana les toponymes Periano, Asigliano, Stroppiana. Mont Albano déduit des respectifs personnels romains Pirius, Asellius, Stirpius, Albus.

Dans le passage de l’âge latin à l’âge médiéval, les populations, une fois abandonnés ces centres, se sont enchâssés sur la colline la plus défendable et sûre où a été construite la villa de Grana, appelée, encore au XVIe siècle, dans le cadastre local, le centre de en villa, "in villa à Torretam, domus in villa, domus in villa Grane". Le passage du haut Moyen Âge à l’aube du Millénaire a vu la naissance de deux autres établissements : le "burgum novum" (=nouveau bourg) et le hameau. Le premier peut être lié aux "Burgi speculatores", c’est-à-dire aux fortins de repérage pour annoncer l’arrivée de dangers et d’ennemis ( constructions présentes un peu partout dans le Montferrat). La ferme, par contre, paraîtrait annexée, avec la mention "brayda" (ferme agricole avec ses annexes) à la présence d’envahisseurs germaniques, en l’occurrence langobards.

Nous avons lu dans les documents de 911 et 955 l’existence de l’église paroissiale de S. Maria en Grana, confirmée par l’empereur Henri III le 26 janvier 1041 à l’église d’Asti, dont le territoire très vaste bordait au nord celles de Rosignano et Mediliano. Grana resta sous la juridiction de cet évêque jusqu’en 1474, date à laquelle le village fut inséré dans le diocèse de Casale.

La présence de l’église souligne l’importance de la localité et son château qui n’existe plus aujourd’hui. Le cadastre précise, en 1569, que le concentrique s’appelait villa à laquelle on accédait par la Porte du Mont où existait la rue droite de la place avec deux magasins et un plus petit "cum domuncula superiori", (=avec une petite maison au-dessus), avec la contrada du Forno (littéralement, ça signifie "quartier du four) et la via del Torchio (=rue du pressoir). Dans le concentrique on remarque la présence de potagers et de jardins. D’autres maisons étaient situées "super spaldum", (=sur les gradins et près de la tourelle), en résultant la villa c’est-à-dire le concentrique, enceinte de murs avec des gradins et avec l’autre porte dite de S. Pietro, auprès de laquelle est enregistré le sédiment avec ferme, potager et pelouse.

Construit près de la voie romaine puis médiévale, il ne pouvait pas manquer à Grana un hôpital ou un xénodoche pour l’arrêt des pèlerins, étant en outre la Via Marenca qui descendait à Montemagno pour Quarto d’Asti en se greffant sur la via Fulvia. Les cadastres habituels de 1569, véritable mine de nouvelles sur le bourg médiéval, enregistrent le "sedimen cum capsina et horto ad sanctum Anhonium coberet hospitale comunis... et bona ecclesie", c’est-à-dire un siège avec une ferme et un potager à S. Antonio sous la contrainte de l’hôpital commun et des biens de l’église. Encore : "domus seu capsina dicta hospitale cum pauco sedimine habite ab agentibus, pro Communitate. coberent via camunis et ecclesia sancte Maria in arealibus dictis ad sanctum Anthonium", (=la maison avec la ferme appelée hôpital avec petit sédiment tenu par les agents de la communauté, sous les cohérences de la route commune et de l’église de S. Maria dans les environs du lieu dit de S. Antonio), d’où on déduit également que l’église de S. Maria, épicentre de la haute église médiévale, était décentrée par rapport à la nouvelle villa fortifiée.

Nous trouvons à l’époque médiévale la présence d’un noyau seigneurial à Grana. À la fin du XIIIe siècle, en effet, dans la course à l’occupation par la commune d’Asti des châteaux ultra Versam, c’est-à-dire au-delà du torrent Versa qui marquait la frontière du marquisat aleramique, resté, à la suite de la mort atroce du 6 février 1292, du marquis Guillaume VII, à la merci des voleurs frontaliers, les Seigneurs de Castagnole sont contraints de céder le fief à la Commune d’Asti et de récupérer son investiture le 15 juin 1292. Par acte ultérieur du 25 juillet, nous trouvons dans le château de Castagnole dominus R.aynerius Bozia de Grana, agent au nom également du neveu Obertino, qui cède à Asti ce qu’il possédait en Castagnole en recevant l’investiture. En outre, la mairie d’Asti concède à Raynero Boza ou Bocia et à son neveu tout ce qu’il possède dans Grana, déjà reconnu par le marquis Guillaume de Montferrat et réinvesti.

Incluse dans les possessions alérame, Grana a confirmé ses privilèges et statuts le 13 juin 1379 par le marquis Giovanni III Paléologue. L’histoire féodale placée indissociablement avec celle communale commence avec la cession de Grana par Guillaume VII à l’aleramique marquis Lantelmo d’Occimiano le 12 septembre 1265. Mais confisquée aux habitants d’Occimiano, Grana fut accordée le 9 janvier 1374 à Percivalle Bobba de la famille historique de Lu qui la céda en 1506 à Henri et Philippe Gambéra inféodés le 9 octobre 1506. Il passa ensuite aux del Carretto et à leur "extinction", comme on dirait, il fut investi de Grana, avec le comité le 13 avril 1781 Amédée Messier, par Moncalieri.

Spanish version

El topónimo Grana refleja el del torrente homónimo que brota en varias ramas de las faldas de las colinas de Grazzano y Moncalvo, las cuales recogidos cerca de Grana toman ese nombre. El río que también determina la toponimia del Valle Grana atraviesa los territorios de Montemagno, Viarigi, Altavilla, Vignale, Fubine, Camagna, Conzano y Occimiano para continuar por Giarole y desembocar en el Po cerca de Valenza.

Como es habitual, las interpretaciones del hidrónimo y del topónimo son dobles. Hay que tener presente en el estudio de los nombres de lugar que nuestra región formaba parte de la Galia Cisalpina, que a su vez, con la Galia Transalpina, en la edad romana constituía una estructura continua, cuyos topónimos latinos son iguales tanto a uno como a otro lado de los Alpes. Por lo tanto, si observamos la existencia de topónimos similares al nuestro en la actual Francia, se deduce que el origen es similar para los diversos centros démicos, tanto si han surgido, en edad clásica, en el Montferrato (Galia Cisalpina) como en el "Département de la Drôme", es decir "Departamento de Drôme" (Galia Transalpina) donde encontramos el topónimo "Grane", similar al nuestro, en actos medievales y en la forma latina "Grana" como "Grana en Monferrato".

Los estudiosos franceses derivan el nombre de Grane (Drôme) del nombre galo Grannus que es también el patronímico del homónimo dios celta correspondiente al Apolo romano, de modo que en muchos epígrafes de época aparece el título Apolo Grannus, en nuestro caso el femenino porque declinado con el nombre del curso de agua, como ocurría frecuentemente; por ejemplo en los documentos medievales el Belbo se llama Belba o sea "aqua Belba" (=agua/río Belba). Recordamos también el culto a las aguas, a los arroyos y a los manantiales, característico no solo de los celtas, para subrayar ulteriormente la derivación del topónimo Grana del celta Grannus-Grana.

Sin embargo, los estudiosos italianos divergen, prefiriendo derivar el topónimo Grana y su hidrónomo del término prerromano "Krana", con significado de "grieta", "ranura", "valle profundo y hundido". Está bien documentado el desarrollo del centro démico en la época romana, surgido en la calle que desde Montemagno (pueblo de estilo medieval desarrollado sobre asentamientos romanos) conduce a Calliano para desembocar en la carretera Asti-Rigomago. Los registros del archivo capitular de Asti documentan la presencia del pueblo de Penano donde se encontraba la iglesia de Santa Maria en Grana. En enero de 911 Agilfredo, sacerdote y rector de dicha iglesia, intercambia bienes con Ansulfo, habitante de la villa de Periano. El documento está redactado en la mencionada iglesia de Santa Maria en Grana. El 11 de enero 955, el diácono Vulmanno, llamado arcipreste de Grana, intercambia bienes con Resto, hijo de Ragimberto y habitante de Periano (entre ellos una tierra y un campo). Periano es de clásica matriz romana derivada de Pirius; el territorio también estaba poblado por otros dos centros de origen latino, como registran los locales catastrales (redactados el 24 de febrero de 1569) que son Axigliano y Stroppiana que, al igual que los homónimos de Vercelli, derivan respectivamente de los gentilicios "Asellius" y "Stirpius"; sin embargo el valle Stirpiana fue convertido en Stroppiana para facilitar la pronunciación.

El catastro de Grana registra también las localidades que dieron el nombre de la citada carretera romana con el término "cantera" que indica la carretera hundida, hundida por la incapacidad y la falta de mantenimiento; al lado de la antigua carretera romana "ad cavam" se desarrollaba la vía medieval también llamada "viam cavam", "ad Cavam vel ad vallis Granam", que significa "en la Cava" (=cantera) o sea al Valle di Grana. La palabra "cantera" también se menciona en el acto de 955 donde en el lugar y finca de Periano una tierra está "sita in loco ubi dicitur ad cavam" (=en el lugar llamado "la Cantera").

Existe también la voz alternativa "ad crosam" para indicar la calle romana empobrecida y profonda, "ad crosam sive ad sanctum Stephanum", (=al hoyo, es decir a Santo Stefano). El monte Piranum hace eco del pueblo Periano de los documentos 911 y 955, colina de Piriano, del patronímico romano Pirius, ya recordado. Así el Montemalbanum indica la colina del romano Albus.

Resumiendo encontramos en el territorio de Grana los topónimos Periano, Asigliano, Stroppiana, Monte Albano tomados de los respectivos términos romanos Pirius, Asellius, Stirpius, Albus.

En el paso de la edad latina a la medieval, las poblaciones, una vez abandonados tales centros, se establecieron en la colina más defendible y segura donde surgió el pueblo de Grana, llamado, todavía en el siglo XVI, en el catastro local, el centro démico. El paso de la alta edad medieval a los albores del Milenio vio el nacimiento de otros dos asentamientos: el burgum novum (=nuevo burgo) y la casa de campo. El primero puede estar relacionado con los "Burgi speculatores", es decir, con las fortificaciones de avistamiento para anunciar la llegada de peligros y enemigos (construcciones un poco presentes en todas partes en Monferrato). La casa, en cambio, parece adjuntar, con el término "brayda" (granja agrícola con anexiones) a la presencia de invasores germánicos, en este caso langobardos.

Hemos leído en los documentos del 911 y del 955 la existencia de la iglesia de S. Maria in Grana, confirmada por el emperador Enrique III el 26 de enero de 1041 en la iglesia de Asti, cuyo territorio muy vasto limitaba al norte con el de Rosignano y Mediliano. Grana permaneció bajo la jurisdicción de ese obispo, hasta 1474 cuando fue insertada en la diócesis de Casale.

La presencia de la iglesia subraya la importancia de la localidad y su castillo ya no existe. El catastro precisa, en 1569, que el concéntrico se llamaba villa, a la que se accedía por la Puerta del Monte donde existía la calle recta de la plaza con dos tiendas y una más pequeña "cum domuncula superior", (=con una casita arriba) con el barrio del Forno (=horno) y la calle del Torchio (=prensa). En el concéntrico se nota la presencia de huertos y jardines. Otras casas estaban ubicadas "super spaldum", (= en las gradas y en la torreta), resultando en la villa es decir el concéntrico, vallado de murallas con sus gradas y con la otra puerta llamada de S. Pietro, en la que está registrado el sedime con granja, huerto y césped.

Construido en la carretera romana, luego vía medieval, no podía faltar en Grana un hospital o xenodochio para el descanso de los peregrinos, tratándose sobre todo de la calle Marenca que bajaba a Montemagno por Quarto d'Asti injertando en la calle Fulvia. Los catastos de 1569, verdadera mina de noticias sobre el pueblo medieval, registran el "sedimen cum capsina et horto ad sanctum Anhonium coberet hospitale comunis... et bona ecclesie", es decir, un sedime con granja y huerto a S. Antonio bajo la coacción del hospital común y de los bienes de la iglesia. También: "domus seu capsina dicta hospitale cum pauco sedimine habita ab agentibus, pro Communitate. coberent via camunis et ecclesia sancte Maria in arealibus dictis ad sanctum Anthonium" (=la casa con la granja llamada hospital con pequeño sedime llevada por los agentes de la comunidad, bajo las coherencias de la calle común y de la iglesia de S. Maria en los alrededores del lugar llamado de S. Antonio), del que se deduce además que la iglesia de S. Maria, epicentro de la iglesia alta medieval, era descentralizada de la nueva villa encajada.

Encontramos en la edad medieval la presencia de un núcleo señorial en Grana. A finales de siglo XIII, en efecto, en la carrera a la ocupación por parte del Ayuntamiento de Asti de los castillos "ultra Versam", es decir, más allá del torrente Versa que marcaba la frontera del Marquesato aleramigo, por la atroz muerte acaecida el 6 de febrero de 1292 del marqués Guillermo VII, a merced de los ladrones confinarios, los Señores de Castagnole se ven obligados a ceder el feudo al Municipio de Asti recuperando su investidura el 15 de junio de 1292. Con el acto posterior del 25 de julio encontramos en el castillo de Castagnole al señor Raynerius Bozia de Grana, agente también en nombre de su sobrino Obertino, obligado a ceder a Asti todo lo que poseía en Grana, ya reconocido por el marqués Guillermo de Monferrato con la consiguiente reinvestitura.

Incluida en las posesiones alerámicas, Grana conservó sus privilegios y estatutos el 13 de junio de 1379 por el marqués Giovanni (Juan) III Paleólogo. La historia feudal, inseparablemente liada a la municipal, comienza con la cesión del pueblo por Guillermo VII al aleramico marqués Lantelmo de Occimiano el 12 de septiembre de 1265. Sin embargo, una vez confiscada, Grana fue concedida el 9 de enero de 1374 a Percivalle Bobba, de la familia histórica de Lu, que la cedió en 1506 a Enrico (Enrique) y Filippo (Felipe) Gambera, que fueron enfeudados el 9 de octubre de 1506. El pueblo pasó entonces a los Carreto y, a la "extinción" de ellos, como diríamos, fue investido de Grana, con el comité el 13 de abril de 1781, Amedeo Messier de Moncalieri.